My birthday is coming around the corner and it made me think of a scene from the movie “Shall We Dance” that my wife and I like. In it the character played by Richard Gere is missing something. He appears to have everything. The great paying job, a family and a wonderful house. His birthday is coming, and the character played by Susan Sarandon is trying to figure out what on earth to buy her husband. They end up talking about it before getting ready for bed and she says something like, “What Can I Buy You That Fits In A Box?” Gere has no really good answer. It’s clear that whatever he’s going to get for his birthday is lame because he doesn’t even know what he wants or may be interested in.
The movie goes on to show how the Gere character finds dancing and really enjoys it. This means that a gift can be found that fits in a box. Dance shoes!
I like the movie because in some ways it represents how I felt for a long time in the sense that I really had no way of clearly articulating what I was into or interested in. When my birthdays would come around the corner I would ask myself what I would want a week before and get stuck.
I still struggle with this question and so I sat down and tried to answer it for 2017.
So, “What am I into?” This may seem like an odd question or even a selfish one. That’s okay. To me the question is important because for roughly 20 years I only thought about one (1) dimension in life. My worldview was limited by the faith I once embraced and now that I’m expanding my viewpoint (not necessarily to the exclusion of faith) I see that there are a lot of things that I’m interested in.
I think that another way of saying what I’m saying is that I feel like I was once 1 dimensional and now am experiencing a more 3-dimensional life. With this comes change. With this comes new experiences and new things I want to experience and do.
So, here goes:
- I’m a Lawrence Osborne Fan: I currently own the novel “Hunters In The Dark” by Lawrence Osborne. Out of his other books he has I would like to own: Beautiful Animals (Novel), The Ballad of a Small Player (Novel), The Wet and the Dry: A Drinker’s Journey (Non-fiction), The Forgiven (A Novel)
- I’m a Magazine Person: I love magazines and would like a few more Magazine Subscriptions in my life. For 1 year I’d like to try filmcomment.com, www.sculpture.org/sculpturemagazine, www.apollo-magazine.com, and http://subscription.economist.com.
- Expanding My Music Exposure: I’d like to try https://play.google.com/ as a way to expand my music exposure. I basically stopped listening to good music when I turned a teenager because of the kind of fundamentalist faith I embraced. So, I missed a lot.
- Whiskey’s I’d Like To Try: Islay Mist Scotch 8 Year Old Scotch Whisky and the decidedly more expensive Lagavulin 16 Year Old Malt Scotch Whisky
- Movies: The DVD for 2015 version of Macbeth with Director Justin Kurzel, Writers Todd Louiso, Jacob Koskoff, and Starring Michael Fassenbender, Marion Cotillard, Jack Madigan
- Shakespeare Collection: In the following link is Macbeth which the RSC recently published. I have Macbeth but would like the rest of the Shakespeare collection in this series. See below Macbeth for what I mean – https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/macbeth/9780812969160-item.html?ikwid=macbeth&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=10
- The Grand Theatre in London, ON: I’ve always been a fan of theatre but rarely go. Having a year subscription to the Grand would be phenomenal – http://www.grandtheatre.com/packages-promotions
- A Gift Card for Michaels: I’d like to paint in acrylics with real paint, a canvas and a basic easel.
- Polaroid Instant Print Picture Camera: The one I want is right here – https://www.bestbuy.com/site/polaroid-originals-onestep-2-analog-instant-film-camera-white/6097905.p?skuId=6097905
- Ancient Coins: Authentic ancient coins from the Alexander The Great era would be amazing.
- Punisher Comics: Stacks and stacks of The Punisher Comics would be equally as brilliant.
When you do a list like this you begin to realize the things you are interested in could keep going and going.
This exercise was awesome. It’s been a long time that I’ve thought about these sorts of things. Now I have a list of things that fit in a box.